[Wlug] DNS not resolving

Keith Wright kwright at keithdiane.us
Thu Aug 3 21:21:11 EDT 2017

Richard Klein <rich at richardklein.org> writes:

> I did a dist-upgrade on my computer. Afterward, I got an error related
> to a broken link for resolvconf. I read somewhere that the file gets
> created if it doesn't exist, so I unlinked and deleted the offending
> file (I think it was /etc/resolvconf, but I don't remember).

Don't confuse resolv.conf with resolvconf.
The file /etc/resolv.conf is the traditional
configuration file that says where to find a name server.

Try putting this in there:

# cat /etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 8.8.8.8

Depending upon your distribution, there may be magic
whizz-bang stuff that automatically rewrites this file
based upon other configuration files or guis.
I think resolvconf is one of those.  It may overwrite
/etc/resolv.conf, but if a handwritten resolve.conf
works, that gives you a place to start.

At least that's my first guess.

  -- Keith