[Wlug] linux security camera

Frank Sweetser fs at WPI.EDU
Tue Mar 1 09:20:42 EST 2016

A few random thoughts, based on the much larger scale surveillance system we
run here:

  * Cameras are useless without storage.  I would strongly recommend against
storing the images on the Pi itself, as then someone could very easily walk
off with them.  Instead, check out a centralized video storage system like
Zone Minder.

  * Think carefully about what kind of images you want - resolution, image
quality, and frequency.  Set up a test camera, walk around, do stuff in front
of it, and see how much really gets captured.  30 seconds is a long time in
between frames.  With something like Zone Minder, you should also be able to
set data retention and long term compression policies, giving you more
flexibility.  Once you have some settings you can live with, you can then
translate those to actual disk sizes.

  * Assume wireless will stop working, because at some point it will.  Wire is
pretty cheap (you can get good prices on bulk wire at Monoprice), and it will
more than make up for it's cost in reliability, performance, and security.
This is doubly true for the 2.4GHz only wifi on the Pi3.

  * Are those pictures important enough to back up?

Frank Sweetser fs at wpi.edu    |  For every problem, there is a solution that
Manager of Network Operations   |  is simple, elegant, and wrong.
Worcester Polytechnic Institute |           - HL Mencken