[Wlug] help diagnosing PC issue: suspect power supply

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Sat Sep 29 18:19:47 EDT 2012

On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 02:32:05PM -0400, Brett Russ wrote:
> Sparkle ATX 400W power supply
> Anyone have any other insights or agree it sounds like a bad PS?  I still
> can't explain symptom (1), will probably buy another battery to be sure.
> Five years seems like an old PC, but I'm not a gamer so this suits me fine.

I agree that the power supply is suspect.  You can measure the voltage
on a spare power supply hard drive connector, there should be 12v from
black to yellow, and 5v from black to red.  If that checks out, you
should measure from the motherboard ATX connector as some of the other
voltages may be out of spec.  You can find the standard ATX pinouts
and voltages online.  Finally, you can test with the power supply
completely disconnected from the PC.  Again, you can find instructions
online for how to do that, as it requires a jumper wire for the power
supply to power on.

Alternatively, it may be easier to just try a replacement.