[Wlug] list filenames within directory > output to text file?

E Johnson iris.gates at gmail.com
Tue May 8 17:52:31 EDT 2012

Is there an app or command line tool which can copy all filenames
within a certain directory, and output these filenames to a plain-text
file?

I need to list about 400 filenames, then drop these into an xl doc, in
order to sort.

Don't need to know permissions or anything else.

I think sort might do it < http://ss64.com/bash/sort.html >, but
probably I need help creating a command that will list only the file
names, which I can then copy/paste to an xl doc.

I am running Debian. I have one Squeeze and one Lenny here.

Thanks extremely,
Liz J