[Wlug] Question about dpkg

Andy Stewart andystewart at comcast.net
Wed Oct 26 19:28:00 EDT 2011

HI guys,

I have a bunch of files in a chroot jail which are used to create my
remastered Ubuntu CD with ham radio applications.

I installed oss-linux from its .deb package downloaded directly from
opensound.com.  I did this because OSS worked with this package but not
the packages in the Ubuntu repository.  I have removed alsa, pulse
audio, and any other non-OSS sound software I could find.  The result
works great for my needs (older computers and software insisting upon
access to /dev/dsp).

Now, here's the interesting issue.  In that chroot jail, I upgraded the
kernel from 2.6.38-11 to 2.6.38-12 via the Ubuntu repositories.  Doing
this somehow wiped out my installation of oss-linux-<ver>.deb, so I
attempted to reinstall it via "dpkg -i oss-linux-<ver>.deb".

The error that I received indicated that it wanted to see the kernel
sources for 2.6.38-11 (the old kernel).  I can't get it to look at the
new kernel sources 2.6.38-12.

There some crufty file laying around somewhere and I can't find it.  I
even tried "dpkg -r" (to remove it), and "dpkg --purge", both to no avail.

Does anybody have any idea where I should look?

Thanks,

Andy

--
Andy Stewart (KB1OIQ)