[Wlug] Myth Box Resources and HD DVR Info?

brad bkn at ithryn.net
Fri Oct 21 12:00:38 EDT 2011

On Thursday, October 20, 2011 06:11:29 PM Jeff Artz wrote:

> Then about a year ago I switched to FiOS HD.  So I now have two HD STB's
> from Verizon, feeding Hauppauge HD-PVR encoders (Component Video IN, USB Out
> [H.264 encoded]).  I use Firewire for channel changes on the FiOS boxes.

Can you explain this setup more clearly? You are running USB out from the FIOS
STB into a PVR card? I also have FIOS, i just run the coax out from the STB a
PVR/HVR card. I also use firewire for changing channels. I used to have
comcast, but switched to FIOS and i was impressed with the number of ports in
on the FIOS STB (comcast STB only had coax in/out and IR, nothing else). i was
very happy to see firewire with FIOS, much easier than IR.

> For HD, the only current option is to feed Component Video from a STB into
> an Hauppauge HD-PVR.

Just curious, do you notice any small glitches in the audio and video in HD
recordings (or live TV)? Every so often spot glitches in the audio and video
on HD, it's a bit annoying, sometimes it even crashes mythtv (or X).

also curious to know what distro you used for the base install, mythbuntu,
fedora, etc ?

> Oh, and you'll need a bit of disk space too!   OTA HD broadcasts are
> 5-7GB/hour, and the HD-PVR's h.264 output is about the same size [maxed out
> at 13Mbps max rate].  I currently have 6.5TB of space on my backend - a bit
> overkill-- as I have over 1,000 programs recorded at any given time... ;-)

Yikes!

> Note that MythTV is *not* the cheapest, nor the *easiest* to setup and
> configure - actually, I'd consider it more of a 'hobby' and requires
> occasional 'care & feeding'...  But the flexibility that it gives you far
> exceeds any other offerings -- Like commercial detection and auto-skipping
> them during playback - just to name one!

Agreed. This is very well said.

- brad