[Wlug] [OT] Internet Service Provider

Aaron Haviland orion at parsed.net
Wed Nov 23 21:50:59 EST 2011

Chuck Noyes wrote, on Nov 23, 2011 at 18:13 EST:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm getting fed up with Verizon's inability to fix their DSL service - it's been
> incredibly slow for the last couple of months. Customer support has been no help.
> So, I'm curious what ISP people like (and don't like). I'd prefer a local one, but
> at this point, I'm not fussy. I'm looking for something reliable. We have Charter
> as the cable TV provider. I don't know if I want to go that route.

I cannot get DSL where I live (too rural), and my town is contracted with Charter for
Cable, so my options are limited here, but when I lived in Somerville a few years
back, I had service from Cyberonic. I liked them mostly because they were local.
They're in Worcester, and I actually signed up with them in-person. Got a free mug.
But that was years ago...

Where I live now has had Charter for about 9 years now, and we've even had the same
(rented) SB4100 cable modem the whole time. It's only DOCSYS 1.1, but we get the
speeds we're paying for, and the old hardware works fine, so we don't complain (nor
have we had to). I haven't had to deal with Support in years.

--
Aaron Haviland