[Wlug] [OT] Internet Service Provider

E Johnson iris.gates at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 19:49:20 EST 2011

PS -  The landlady downstairs has Charter's lowest (slowest) tier of
internet service, with a wireless modem/router (some kind of little white
Netgear box) that they supply. It's usually okay on a wired connection, but
I've tested the wireless on it, & while it serves webpages okay (usually),
it's really, really slow downloading anything. Even sitting 4 feet away
from the box, with nothing but air in between. Maybe she got a bad unit,
but I'd recommend avoiding that setup.

The other thing to watch out for if you rent a modem from the company (any
company) is to make sure they give you a brand-new unit, and not some
half-dead unit they just swapped out of someone else's house.
EJ