[Wlug] MP3 playback in Fedora

Justin St. Marie stmariejw at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 12:00:57 EDT 2011

On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 11:48 AM, Eric Martin
<eric.joshua.martin at gmail.com>wrote:

> I'm thinking about switch over to CentOS from Gentoo at work for a few
> reasons, two of which are the compile time and the ability to check packages
> against GPG signatures.  That being the case, I decided to convert my
> desktop to Fedora so I can get my chops up on yum and the RedHat style
> distros.  it's going ok and I'm getting pretty good at figuring out where to
> find things, and I'm even looking at writing an RPM or two where I need
> stuff.  However, I can't seem to get MP3, Mpeg1 or Mpeg2 playback working,
> and I can't get adobe-flash to install via the nspluginwrapper.  I've
> googled, installed a bunch of packages that people suggested and even
> checked what packages I have on my Gentoo system and installed some of those
> but I'm stuck.
>
> I have Adobe-Flash installed as well as nspluginwrapper, but the commands I
> find online aren't wrapping the plugin.  I installed libmpeg2 and libmpeg3
> but I still can't play movies or mp3s.  Any suggestions?
>
> thanks,
> --
> Eric Martin

You will need to add the RPM Fusion repositories.  It has a ton of packages
that can't get into the Fedora repos due to licensing/proprietary/etc...

Here's the link:  http://rpmfusion.org/Configuration

After you add the repo, I believe the package names are
gstreamer-plugins-ugly and gstreamer-plugins-bad.  yum search mp3 should
also bring these up.

Also feel free to pop into #fedora on freenode.