[Wlug] MP3 playback in Fedora

Eric Martin eric.joshua.martin at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 11:48:28 EDT 2011

I'm thinking about switch over to CentOS from Gentoo at work for a few
reasons, two of which are the compile time and the ability to check packages
against GPG signatures.  That being the case, I decided to convert my
desktop to Fedora so I can get my chops up on yum and the RedHat style
distros.  it's going ok and I'm getting pretty good at figuring out where to
find things, and I'm even looking at writing an RPM or two where I need
stuff.  However, I can't seem to get MP3, Mpeg1 or Mpeg2 playback working,
and I can't get adobe-flash to install via the nspluginwrapper.  I've
googled, installed a bunch of packages that people suggested and even
checked what packages I have on my Gentoo system and installed some of those
but I'm stuck.

I have Adobe-Flash installed as well as nspluginwrapper, but the commands I
find online aren't wrapping the plugin.  I installed libmpeg2 and libmpeg3
but I still can't play movies or mp3s.  Any suggestions?

thanks,
--
Eric Martin