[Wlug] problem upgrading openoffice.org to version 3.0

E Johnson iris.gates at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 10:19:31 EST 2009

I'm also running Hardy on Dell laptop. My laptop is Dell 1525n, that came
with Ubuntu Gutsy --but lately running Hardy.

I first added the line
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/openoffice-pkgs/ppa/ubuntu hardy main
to my /etc/apt/sources.list --and saved it correctly, then updated the
sources list (apt-get update --I think that should have worked!!).

But Synaptic did not indicate an update or new version of Openoffice was
available. Maybe that was because it was looking at what the
already-installed version of Openoffice might need, which was apparently
up-to-date.

I then followed James' directions exactly (the directions in the tutorial
--but using the correct URL that he gave for Hardy), which worked perfectly.
Then after letting the Update manager install the recommended updates, I now
have Openoffice 3.0 installed here.

I did not test Openoffice 3.0 in the laptop except to open it in the word
processor mode and look at it a little bit, but it appears to be functional
that far, anyway. It seemed to open quickly and smoothly.

Good luck with it, Andrew, & thanks guys.

Liz J