[Wlug] Linux audio driver problems [was Re: Keyboard and mouse repeatedly disconnect/reconnect]

J.R. Mauro jrm8005 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 11:02:19 EDT 2009

On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 10:51 AM, Randy Cole <randyokc at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hmm... Ubuntu (tried against 8.10 x64, 9.04 i386 liveCD & x64) (and
> Fedora 10 x64) have problems with sound with my recent HP DV4-1222NR
> laptop. I suspect my audio setup is similar to E. Johnson's.
>
> Problem is with alsa-driver. When I compile from source it works, until
> the kernel changes.

Well, that's the nature of an unstable kernel API :P

> Even then the mute & volume "smart keys" do not have the desired effect,
> so I have to use the icon or menu. Gnome keyboard shortcuts gui is
> poorly documented - there is no man page, no indication what config file
> gnome-keybinding-properties corresponds to.
>
> How do I change the action "volume mute" to affect the proper device?

There are lots of ways to do that. Gnome and KDE are a bit mystical
(and don't work). Google for "evtest", which is a program that can
look at a file in /dev/input/ and tell you what key/keycode/etc was
pressed. Also, xev might be enough for you to find out what key it is,
and map that into whatever application you use.