[Wlug] gl over ssh

Mike Frysinger vapier at gentoo.org
Mon Apr 6 18:05:39 EDT 2009

On Monday 06 April 2009 12:24:03 John Stoffel wrote:
> Have you tried using the 'nxserver' instead?  I've been playing with
> it a bit, and it's not blindingly fast at points, but it does seem to
> support better OpenGL over the WAN/LAN than X does at time, esp VNC.

problem with nxserver is there isnt an open source replacement for every
component in the stack.  i dont say this because i hate closed source, but
rather it makes working across platforms a real pita (OS / architectures).  i
ended up switching to ssvnc as it nicely integrates ssh and/or ssl into the
process.  install ssvnc on your client and x11vnc on your server and you're
golden.  the performance is the best ive seen so far, but that is compared to
X forwarding and other VNC clients ... not NX.
-mike