[Wlug] Linux from Scratch - anyone use this?

Alexander Haley ahaley at alum.wpi.edu
Mon Apr 6 07:43:08 EDT 2009

So ... my motivations are a deep distrust and loathing when I type:

apt-get tiny-application

and I'm then asked to install six hundred and twenty four other libraries ...

Now, I love ubuntu - sure it is easy and easy is good .. right ... and
I've been pretty much using Debian or Ubuntu on some machine, in some
form ... since 1998 ...

but .. I'm always getting into trouble with the package management
system ... I'm always skimming around looking at the more obscure
installed libraries thinking "gee, no one uses lib-foo-bar-zap" ...
uninstalling it .. and then discovering just who indeed uses
lib-foo-bar-zap ...

So .. when it comes to my known style of system management ... easy
isn't good .. it merely leads my inevitable tinkering into trouble.

THUS - if I make the system "100% tinkering" .. well - I'll have to
tow a straighter line .. if I want the darned thing to work!

make sense?

I did try gentoo once ... but ... I wasn't happy ... again probably
due to my irresistible "lets tinker" nature...

-Alex, who once wished that sudo included a breathalyzer check ...