[Wlug] reboot problem

Richard Klein richspk at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 15:30:19 EDT 2007

On 10/30/07, Eric Martin <freak4uxxx at gmail.com> wrote:

> You can get a handheld tester (I have one at home, I can bring it to
> the next meeting).  Basically if the light goes green it's good.
> Also, it has spots to check voltages of your power supply.

I'm not sure that's adequate to tell if a PS is causing flaky
behavior.  I don't think it'll tell you if one of the voltage lines
goes low under load or something.  If it doesn't pass those tests,
though, you'll know it's bad.

Also, open the PS case and look for leaking capacitors.  If you find
any leakage, then you know you have a problem.  I would just throw out
the PS at that point, but you could probably replace the capacitors.

--
Rich

P.S.: I mean to post an update to my
screen-blanking-while-watching-movies problem.  I'll catch up with
that later.