[Wlug] FW: gv & resource file in ubuntu feisty fox

Jamie Guinan guinan at bluebutton.com
Fri May 25 20:07:42 EDT 2007

On Fri, 25 May 2007, Bill Mills-Curran wrote:

> I've searched and have not found the answer to this issue.
>
> gv in the Ubuntu feisty fox distro does not seem to observe the
> resource file.  In particular the auto-refresh and reverse scroll do
> not work.
>
> My resource file is ~/.gv and contains:
>
> GV.reverseScrolling:      TRUE
> GV.watchFile:             TRUE
> GV.autoResize:            FALSE
>

> This did work on Red Hat FC4, but the same file does not work in
> Ubuntu.
>
> Am I doing something wrong or have I found a bug?

I think resource settings "reside" in the X server at run-time, so you
could try manually adding those particular ones like so, (with queries
before and after for testing),

  $ xrdb  -query
  $ xrdb -merge ~/.gv
  $ xrdb  -query

Then run gv again.  If it works, maybe you could add it to your
X startup, however that works on your $DISTRO+$DESKTOP+etc...

In the past I've also used ggv, which is gnome-ified gv.

-Jamie