[Wlug] large file performance on linux

Jeff Moyer jmoyer at redhat.com
Wed May 16 14:40:38 EDT 2007

==> On Wed, 16 May 2007 12:59:54 -0400, Jeff Moyer <jmoyer at redhat.com> said:

Jeff> Look under /proc/sys/vm.  Documentation for these variables might be
Jeff> in Documentation/filesystems/proc.txt (it's not always up-to-date).
Jeff> But, as I said, I don't think this is the right avenue to explore.
Jeff> You can get more predictable results by using AIO+O_DIRECT (or maybe
Jeff> even O_SYNC as another mentioned).

One other thing worth mentioning is that you should be doing I/O in
large block sizes.  What size are you currently using for your write
buffers?

-Jeff