[Wlug] Partition Question

James P. Gray gray_james at dwc.edu
Wed May 11 21:48:51 EDT 2005

Partition types are sometimes used by operating systems and utilities to
determine the type of a file system.  The Linux kernel likely uses
another means of determining if a swap partition is really swap.  But it
may simply assume that it is swap.

Info on partitions and partition types:
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Partition/

I found some good information on partitions and memory management here,
but no details on why specific partition types are used:
http://tldp.org/LDP/sag/html/index.html