[Wlug] AMD64 and 32-bit apps

Mike Frysinger vapier at gentoo.org
Tue May 3 14:45:41 EDT 2005

On Tuesday 03 May 2005 01:12 pm, Carlton C. Stedman II wrote:
> I'm not worried
> about my video card drivers, since NVIDIA has great amd64 support, at
> least, so I'm told.

ive always used `emerge nvidia-kernel nvidia-glx` to take care of my nvidia
card on my x86 and amd64 machines ... then just put 'nvidia'
into /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6

> My main concern is that I need to install some 32-bit
> emulation libraries and kernel modules, so I've read, to compile 32-bit
> apps, and that some compiled 32-bit apps will only work under a 32-bit
> environment, requiring me to setup a seperate environment to chroot into.
> I'm running gentoo

i'm not really up-to-speed with how fedora/redhat/suse/debian/etc... are
handling the multilib issue, but i can speak for Gentoo ...

since it sounds like you're doing a new install, grab a 2005.0 amd64 install
and the rest should be pretty seamless ... with the 2005.0 release, amd64
supports multilib by default (you can turn it off if you wish to have a pure
64bit env)

the default glibc/gcc will install 32bit and 64bit compilers / libraries ...
just make sure you turn on 32bit emulation support in your kernel, and then
when you go to run a 32bit app, most will 'just work' ... of course it
depends on *what* you're trying to do as to how easy it'll be

if you wish to compile your own 32bit code, just add '-m32' to the build
process:
gcc -m32 -c test.c -o test32bit
-mike