[Wlug] Where do we eat?

Carlton C. Stedman II sageman at WPI.EDU
Sat Sep 4 13:22:51 EDT 2004

> I would have thought that 'Why do we eat?' would be a higher stage
> than 'Where do lunch?', but perhaps it is just a matter of taste.
> Which question seems more civilized may depend upon whether you
> are a French philosopher facing a plate full of jellied liver,
> or a film producer facing a starlet.

No, no. First off, its a quote from Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker's Guide To
The Galaxy. Second, the idea is that after one finds how to do something,
the next step is to ask why they do it, all existential-like, and finally
the people eventually get tired of that and grow fat and stupid.

Hence:
> > And the web interfaces are generally a sign of civilization moving
> > from the 'How can we eat?' stage past the 'Why do we eat?' and
> > straight to the 'Where shall we have lunch?' stage...

Implies that web interfaces are for the weak. This is silly, web
interfaces are very froody, and so easy to use, they make an excellent
alternative to command-line file editing, in many cases.

CCS

Carlton C. Stedman II, sageman at wpi.edu
"To iterate is human, to recurse, divine."
-- L. Peter Deutch