[Wlug] REMINDER: Upcoming LAN Party !!

Stephen C. Daukas stephen@daukas.com
Mon, 17 Feb 2003 20:16:44 -0500

We should probably talk about Mad Dog and Linux in education...

-----Original Message-----
From: wlug-admin@mail.wlug.org [mailto:wlug-admin@mail.wlug.org] On
Behalf Of Andy Stewart
Sent: Monday, February 17, 2003 12:36 PM
To: Worcester Linux Users' Group
Subject: [Wlug] REMINDER: Upcoming LAN Party !!

HI Everybody,

The next WLUG meeting will be held this coming Wednesday, February 19th,
2003
in a different location.  The meeting room will be AK233 (Atwater Kent
room
233).  Please refer to the Wlug Meetings...Directions link for
directions to
this room.  The building is right next to Salisbury Labs on the WPI
campus.
Please note the earlier start time of 6:00 PM !

At this meeting, we'll be having a LAN party !  This is WLUG's first LAN
party
so I'm curious to see what people bring.  You'll need to bring your
network
gear (hubs, switches, cables) and a laptop or desktop machine with
networking
enabled.  We'll interconnect all of the machines to create one big WLUG
LAN.
I'll bring my PLIP cable for the masochists in the crowd.   This network
most
likely will *not* have access to the Internet (but we'll see what we can
do).

On this LAN, all sorts of activities could take place, such as
multiplayer
games, network security scans, attempts to (non-destructively!) crack
another
persons system to teach them about their security weaknesses, and more.
Its
really up to all of you and your imaginations as  to what we can do with
this
type of setup.  I'll even entertain doing a couple of network based
Linux
installations if folks want that.  If people need help configuring their

systems for networking, that help will be available.  I'll also be
available
to do a demonstration of VNC for those interested.  The possibilities
are
really endless.

Due to the amount of time to setup such a LAN and still have time to
have fun
with it, I've extended the time of the WLUG meeting from 6:00 PM - 9:00
PM
(note earlier start time!).

Have a lot of fun, and I'll see you all on Wednesday.

Andy
--
Andy Stewart, Founder
Worcester Linux Users' Group