[Wlug] freeswan

mhughes@wpidalamar.com mhughes@wpidalamar.com
Wed, 23 Apr 2003 08:41:39 -0400 (EDT)

I think you actually might want a vpn between networks ... If you
put your wireless network behind a firewall, and then only allow ipsec
through it onto your home lan (and I assume onto the internet eventually).
Then your vpn uses the wireless network as the untrusted network (instead
of using the internet as the untrusted network).  Anyone not on the VPN
can't get any packets onto the rest of your network.

This does 2 things.
1) Encryption like you want so people can't see what you're doing.
2) Authentication - so only authorized people on the VPN can access
anything on the rest of the network.

This could be a lot stronger protection than WEP gives you.  Of course
I've never actually done this, but there was an article I read a while
back suggesting it, perhaps it's in the Linux Journal archives.

-Marc