[Wlug] Wireless question about WEP

Charles R. Anderson cra@WPI.EDU
Fri, 19 Jul 2002 23:53:03 -0400

On Fri, Jul 19, 2002 at 11:42:37PM -0400, Andy Stewart wrote:
andystewart> The trouble arises when I try to use the link for something useful, like
andystewart> surfing the web.  Web pages come over very slowly if they complete at all.
andystewart> On a wired system, the page comes over quickly, so its not the other end of
andystewart> the Internet causing the problem.

Encryption slows things down.  I guess something isn't well implemented
(WAP or 802.11b card).  It shouldn't be THAT bad, though.  What is your
CPU load when trying to load web pages?

andystewart> Also, I seem totally unable to make 128 or 256 bit encryption work at all (not
andystewart> even a successful ping) despite the fact that both sides agree on the
andystewart> password.

For 128-bit WEP, make sure there are exactly 13 octets (26 hex digits).
I know this comes out to 104 bits, but thats actually correct.  Don't
ask me how that makes it 128-bit...must be a salt in there or something.

--
Charles R. Anderson <cra@wpi.edu> / http://angus.ind.wpi.edu/~cra/
PGP Key ID: 49BB5886