[Wlug] Speaking Of Mac G4's...

Mike Frysinger vapier@gentoo.org
Sun, 15 Dec 2002 23:34:52 -0500

On Sunday 15 December 2002 22:39, Josh Huber wrote:
> Sands Fish <fishsands@yahoo.com> writes:
> > Would Debian or Gentoo be suitable for an enterprise environment?
> > No worries about having it be an open server on the Internet for
> > mail and possibly other MIS-like silliness?  Please advise, thanx in
> > advance. :)
>
> I can't speak for Gentoo, but Debian has served me well in Enterprise
> environments in the past.  Security advisories are prompt, and the
> stable release of Debian strives to change as little as possible,
> making it an ideal (IMHO ;) choice for servers.

GLSA's are released as soon as Gentoo gets wind of them and updating the
affected packages usually is just:
emerge rsync
emerge <pkg>
emerge clean
as for stability, we've introduced stable/unstable masking which aims to take
care of this ... but we do not move as slowly as Debian stable, in fact we
try to avoid that kind of non-change ...
-mike