[Wlug] Lan party ideas...

Stephen C. Daukas stephen@daukas.com
Mon, 09 Dec 2002 07:35:34 -0500

I have a couple of ideas...

The first one that comes to mind, regarding location, is to hold it at
the Mass Academy of Math & Science at WPI, which is of course a part of
WPI, and is loacted at 85 Prescott St.  This is where WPI's campus
expansion (gateway park) will be happening over the next N years.  As is
so happens, I'm a faculty member at the Academy (Computer Science) and
have already secured permission to use the entire facility, if need be,
for WLUG acitivity.

There is one large room (a.k.a. the brick yard)  where we can probably
accomodate up to 30 people with various PCs on bench-tables (we have had
100+ people in there for presentations).  This room has the same AV
sysetm as Kinnekut Hall...  In addition to that, we have a large "room"
(a.k.a. the library) off of a number of classrooms that could also be
used.  Every room is equipped with drops (between a 6 and 30) that we
could use if Chuck can secure permission to connect to the WPI network.

As to what, well I must confess, I have never seen what the attraction
is to playing computer games.  I have brought up the possibility, as the
last "Boynton meeting", of attracting the "technology" types from area
schools (and the folks they hang out with) for an install fest and
topical discussions revolving around getting Linux into the hands of
students and family as well as the topic of running Linux on all the
older PCs that many schools already have.

My guess is that taking this route, instead of a night of games, would
not only serve to help the communities in which we live, but also
bolster WLUG's standing in central MA and probably double our membership
as well...

Steve