[Wlug] Let's make WLUG meetings better!

Haines, Charles Allen chaines@WPI.EDU
Thu, 5 Dec 2002 09:46:45 -0500

I would be very interested in some security based presentations.  I think setting up some boxes for "security" testing would be really cool.  I'd be willing to donate my box to the cause.  I'd also like to see a tutorial on iptables, cause they are a very usual thing.
Other than that, I think a demo on wine, and getting some of that other OS's programs like dreamweaver mx, to work under wine.

| Chuck Haines		| AIM: CyberGrex		|
| ECE Sys Admin		| Yahoo: CyberGrex_27	|
| GDC Developer		| ICQ: 3707881		|
		http://www.linux-xtreme.net

-----Original Message-----
From: Andy Stewart [mailto:andystewart@attbi.com]
Sent: Saturday, November 30, 2002 6:56 PM
To: Worcester Linux Users' Group
Subject: [Wlug] Let's make WLUG meetings better!

HI everybody,

I was a little disappointed at the turnout from the last WLUG meeting.  We had
8 or 9 people show up, and while we did have a good time watching Scott and
Doug get a couple of scanners working under Linux, it would have been alot
more fun with more people in attendance.  I believe this was the lowest
attendance we've seen at a WLUG meeting in our 5.5 year history.  :-(

We discussed possible reasons for the low attendance at the Boynton over a few
beers.

One suggestion was that I should update the WLUG website to show what we have
done at past meetings so people wouldn't think that nothing was accomplished.
I've done that and will endeavor to keep that part of the WLUG website
current (see "Past Meeting Information").

Another thought was that some people will only come to a meeting if the topic
looks interesting to them, and if it is announced well in advance.  I must
admit to having been somewhat lax in that area lately.

Therefore, in an attempt to remedy that (at least for this month), I'm putting
out the call now for a speaker and a topic for the Dec. 12th meeting (its
coming up fast!).  I sent out a list of potential topics last month, but I
know that there are a zilliion interesting things happening in the Linux
world that could be discussed at a WLUG meeting.

The meeting need not be discussion based, either!  Although Kinnicutt Hall
lends itself well to this type of meeting, we do have access to other rooms
on campus.

People have tossed out ideas such as these:

o build a network for multiplayer Linux games

o build a network to see if WLUG crackers can break into your system (not to
destroy it, but to teach you what to fix to secure your system)

o more live demos!

The group exists to meet your needs, so please, state your needs!  I can't
arrange a meeting to your liking if I get no feedback on what you want to see
at future WLUG meetings.

More importantly, I'd like to see more and different people volunteer to do
the presentations or to run a live demo.  If you look back at the last year
of WLUG meetings, you'll see the same names many times.  While I'm *quite*
happy that these folks continue to volunteer, I'd like to see others jump in
also.

Finally, if anybody has feedback regarding the last meeting and why it lacked
attendees, please bring it up on the list so we can all discuss it.  Without
such candid discussions, WLUG cannot improve.

Later,

Andy

--
Andy Stewart, Founder