[Wlug] SCSI Tape Drive Question

Theo Van Dinter felicity@kluge.net
Thu, 31 May 2001 12:51:16 -0400

On Wed, May 30, 2001 at 03:50:23PM -0400, Marc Hughes wrote:
> It shows up in the scsi bios utilities.  There is no mention of a tape
> drive in dmesg or /var/log/messages after bootup, and it doesn't work
> when you try something like "mt -f /dev/st0 status".

What happens if you cat /proc/scsi/scsi?  I get something like the following:

> cat /proc/scsi/scsi
Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: SEAGATE  Model: ST15150W         Rev: 0023
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 02 Lun: 00
  Vendor: HP       Model: C1533A           Rev: 9503
  Type:   Sequential-Access                ANSI SCSI revision: 02

This at least lets you know if the system sees the thing.  The next question
is: does your kernel have SCSI tape support?  Cat /proc/devices, do you see
something like:

 > cat devices
Character devices:
  1 mem
  2 pty
  3 ttyp
  4 ttyS
  5 cua
  7 vcs
  9 st
[...]

Is /dev/st0 correct (ie: major 9, minor 0)?:

crw-rw----   1 root     disk       9,   0 Oct 23  1999 /dev/st0

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
"Talent does what it can, genius what it must. I do what I get paid to do."