[Wlug] XEmacs question - gnuserv/gnuclient

Bill Mills-Curran bcurran@clariion.com
Thu, 24 May 2001 07:27:15 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 22 May 2001, Andy Stewart wrote:

> Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 23:22:22 -0400
> From: Andy Stewart <andystewart@mediaone.net>
> To: Worcester Linux Users' Group <wlug@mail.wlug.org>
> Subject: [Wlug] XEmacs question - gnuserv/gnuclient
>

> HI gang,
>
> I'm running XEmacs 21.1.8 and am playing with gnuserv/gnuclient.  Within
> XEmacs, I do M-x gnuserv-start (which seems OK).  In a terminal window on
> the same machine, I type gnuclient and another XEmacs window pops up quite
> quickly (as I expect).
>
> However, I can't get this to work from another machine on my home network.
> I played with the xauth stuff and also tried setting the GNU_SECURE
> environment variable to no avail.  Clearly I've done something wrong but I
> don't know what.
>
> Can somebody walk me through the steps?  I'm expecting that if I run
> gnuserv on machine 'tux' that I can set the security so that I can access
> that gnuserv process from machine 'andypc' by typing the correct
> incantation of the gnuclient command on 'andypc'.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Andy
> --
> Andy Stewart, Founder
> Worcester Linux Users' Group
> Worcester, MA  USA
> http://www.wlug.org

Andy,

I played with this a few years back, and I remember 2 things...

1.  I recollect that there's an environment variable that you need to
    set prior to starting xemacs on the server side.  This tells it to use
    tcp sockets rather than unix sockets.  I suspect that there's
    something similar for the client side, but I don't remember as
    well.

2.  The file you wish to edit must be visible to the server.  This
    whole process provides nothing in the way of getting the file to
    the server.

    I played with a capability that would deliver the file to the
    server first, then call gnuclient to edit the file on the server
    side, then finally put the file back.  It was always awkward, so I
    stopped using it.

I do use the "standard" gnuserver all the time so that I can edit my
email using xemacs inside of pine.  It's a great feature.

Bill