[Wlug] Upcoming meetings - topic proposals

Keller, Tim Tim.Keller@stratus.com
Mon, 7 May 2001 11:01:30 -0400

Hey I was looking at the sample smb.conf file (and I've set up a bunch of
samba servers as well) and I saw something odd (well odd for me)

-- start cut --
# Configure Samba to use multiple interfaces
# If you have multiple network interfaces then you must list them
# here. See the man page for details.
interfaces = 192.168.3.1  24.91.122.146
-- end cut --

>From a home network point of view, why would you want samba to bind to your
external (24.xx...) address?  Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

I personally add rules to my firewall to block outgoing and incoming SMB
traffic to the outside world.  SMB as a protocol goes (if you could call it
that) tends to tell the world more then one would want...

Tim.