[Wlug] Upcoming meetings - topic proposals

Thomas Carey tcarey70@hotmail.com
Mon, 07 May 2001 08:27:59 -0400

<P>Andy,</P>
<P>The Firewall topic sounds great. First off, I am a newbie (been toying around with Linux for the last year and a half off and on), and want to increase my Linux knowledge. I have been successful in setting up Linux as a web server, and as an FTP server. The one thing I have been unable to get working is Samba file and print services. I would love to have someone show me the proper way to get this up and running. I am currently using RH7 (for the server),&nbsp;&nbsp;and Win98SE for the client machine. I would be willing to bring those machines, as well as a small hub for us to work on. This is a feature of Linux that I really want to use. </P>
<P>Thanks for your time.</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>Tom Carey</P>
<P><BR><BR>&nbsp;</P></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;From: Andy Stewart <ANDYSTEWART@MEDIAONE.NET>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Reply-To: wlug@mail.wlug.org
<DIV></DIV>&gt;To: "Worcester Linux Users' Group" <WLUG@MAIL.WLUG.ORG>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Subject: [Wlug] Upcoming meetings - topic proposals
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Date: Sun, 6 May 2001 21:38:04 -0400
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;HI everybody,
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;For our next meeting, I would like to have somebody finish the thread from
<DIV></DIV>&gt;the last meeting or two by explaining the contents of their firewall
<DIV></DIV>&gt;script and why the series of ipchains commands works for them. This might
<DIV></DIV>&gt;be helpful to folks who are either considering implementing a firewall or
<DIV></DIV>&gt;who want to understand the canned script that they got from wherever.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;My idea for a subsequent meeting was to have a newbie meeting as we
<DIV></DIV>&gt;haven't had one in quite some time. One idea I had was to discuss a shell:
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt; a) bash - scripting, command line "tricks"
<DIV></DIV>&gt; perhaps go over a "real" script, such as
<DIV></DIV>&gt; a startup script in /etc/init.d/wherever...
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Another idea would be to discuss the use of digital cameras with Linux.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Are there other topics people would like to see? Are there volunteers to
<DIV></DIV>&gt;take on these topics? Perhaps there is a topic more interesting to you?
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Thanks in advance for your input,
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Andy
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;--
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Andy Stewart, Founder
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Worcester Linux Users' Group
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Worcester, MA USA
<DIV></DIV>&gt;http://www.wlug.org
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Wlug mailing list
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Wlug@mail.wlug.org