[Wlug] backup programs

B.J. Herbison bj@herbison.com
Wed, 20 Jun 2001 05:20:53 -0400

What I would like to see in a backup program:

o  Simple configuration.

o  Simple operation -- insert bulk media and bootable media
   (floppy or CD to burn), and run the backup program with
   one parameter (the configuration name).  Good logging,
   but ending with a clear "yes, this backup worked without
   any problems", or "no, you aren't safe yet".

o  Simple disaster recovery -- insert the bulk media and
   bootable media pair, turn on power, answer "yes" to
   "Is this a disaster recovery?" prompt, identify media,
   and everything gets restored.

o  Simple file restore -- to original location or parallel
   file tree.

o  Catalogs on tape and optionally on disk.  The ability to
   copy take catalogs to disk.

o  Support for multiple operating systems/boots/file system
   types in one backup set.

                                                B.J.