[Wlug] backup programs

Andy Stewart andystewart@mediaone.net
Wed, 20 Jun 2001 00:04:44 -0400

HI Brad,

By "lack of sufficient backup programs", do you mean GPL programs?  There
are a few commercial offerings available such as BRU and Arkeia.  Last I
knew, Arkeia was available for free download for home use, but is not GPL
software.

OK, to answer your question about features that I like to see in a backup
solution:

o fits on a bootable floppy for disaster recovery

o it would be nice if I didn't have to run through the whole tape to get
one file restored.

o GUI and command line (keeps everybody happy)

o store a directory of files on the tape

o sufficient error detection and corrections schemes to account for
imperfect media

o damaged media shouldn't prevent me from getting back the entire backup,
just a file or two (unless of course the tape is shredded or something)

o backup program does a read/verify to prove that the backup was really
written correctly

o ability to write backups to media other than tape, such as DVD-RAM or
perhaps a hard disk partition

That's just a few thoughts...perhaps they will stimulate some discussion.

Later,

Andy

--
Andy Stewart