[Wlug] Linux on a Dell laptop dual-boot W2K

Brian J. Conway dogbert@clue4all.net
Fri, 1 Jun 2001 00:52:54 -0400

> I was wondering if anyone has had any "good" experiences installing Linux
> and W2K on the same machine? I currently have the following hardware setup:

Yes, I've done it a few times.  The best approach I've found (on my desktop, anyways) is to start with a fresh disk, partition accordingly and install Win2k first, followed by your distro of choice.  On the bright side, if you install Win2k second, or just reinstall over an existing Win2k install, it does you the favor of _not_ overwriting your MBR, which is certainly nicer than Win9x installs.

> Dell Inspiron 8000 Laptop
> Pentium III 700mhz w/256MB RAM
> Toshiba DVD-ROM
> Integrated Actiontec 10/100MB NIC \ 56K Modem
> Intel® 815e AGPSet Chipset with 4X AGP
> 10GB HD - currently 1 partition NTFS file system

That's actually the same model (with different specs) that I ordered a week ago and expect to arrive within the next three days.  I plan on doing a full write-up after installation for the Linux on Laptops site (http://www.linux-laptop.net/ previously www.cs.utexas.edu/users/kharker/linux-laptop/), so stay tuned.

> My thoughts were to install Caldera e-Desktop 2.4 which I have had some
> success with. What I'm not sure about is re-partitioning the HD to
> accommodate 2 Operating Systems. Caldera comes with a slim version of
> Partition Magic, but I haven't had the opportunity to use it on NTFS, so
> that is where any suggestions would help.

I've never resized NTFS myself, but Mandrake (my distribution of choice) comes with an excellent utility as part of the install called DiskDrake, which is an open-source equivalent of Partition Magic, and I've found to be far preferable.  Even if you don't want to use Mandrake, you could always boot it up and go through the install until you pass the partitioning section near the beginning.  I believe DiskDrake can resize NTFS in Mandrake 8.0, but don't quote me on that.  Either way, I like it a lot better than Partition Magic, and it's just as full-featured.

Brian J. Conway
dogbert@clue4all.net
Geek for hire: http://clue4all.net/resume

Power Mac G4 Cube.  Some of us are getting laid tonight.
(http://www.pvponline.com/archive.php3?archive=20010509)